Not exactly a $5 dinner. We make enough of those to allow ourselves to venture out of budget from time to time. Not that this meal is particularly expensive either. Actually, you can make our Lemon-Garlic Pasta with Asparagus, minus the onions.
These tofu "meatballs" go on the side.
What you'll need . . .
- 1 cake of extra firm tofu (14 ounces)
- 1/2 cup low fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 cups rolled oats processed into flour (sort of like with our smoked tofu "meatloaf")
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method . . .
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spritz olive oil into each portion in a mini muffin pan. Set aside.
- Drain tofu for half an hour (here's how) and break into smaller pieces.
- Then toss everything in a food processor and pulse until combined, but not too paste-y (so, still some texture to it).
- Then drop in heaping spoonfuls into the mini muffin pan -- the mixture is enough to fill all the slots.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes -- until firm and browned.
What you'll need . . .
- 1 large (24 ounce) can whole tomatoes -- juice and all
- 1 heaping tablespoon powdered saffron
- 1 heaping teaspoon powdered ginger
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 to 1 cup almond milk
- In a small saucepan, combine the tomatoes, saffron, ginger, 1 tablespoon olive oil, lemon juice, and salt/pepper. Cook for 20 minutes over medium heat.
- In a small frying pan, toss in 1 tablespoon olive oil and cook the onions over medium-high heat for a couple minutes. Add the maple syrup and continue cooking until golden brown.
- Put everything in a food processor and blend until smooth. Then add in however much milk you'd like. The more you use, the less acidic the sauce will be.
- Then return to a saucepan to warm and add in the "meatballs" -- let cook until well warmed.
I know I've said she's been teething for months now, but SHE'S DEFINITELY TEETHING. Someone give this girl a tooth already!
Like what you just read? Stay connected! You can subscribe to the feed of these posts, chat with us on Twitter or Facebook. And you can always email us with your questions and comments.