I f.i.n.a.l.l.y made a good loaf of bread. With all that free time I have lately, I have no idea why it took this long to whip one up. Right? Hah. Right.
What makes this loaf great is the ricotta. It creates this irresistible texture that's chewy and moist. A perfect compliment to the crusty, well, crust. The dill is an added bonus, and you can feel free to substitute whatever herb you'd like better. Chives would be tasty.
WHITE POTATO & RICOTTA LOAF
What you'll need, or in this case, knead . . .
- 1/2 cup mashed white potatoes (instructions below)
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Couple tablespoons milk or substitute
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups unbleached bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
Method . . .
- If you don't have any mashed potatoes (who really does this time of year?), scrub & peel 3 or 4 large white potatoes, then boil them until they are mushy. Mash and add in the milk, dill, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Combine 3/4 cup warm water with the yeast. Let sit until frothy. About five minutes.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix yeast with 1/2 cup of the potatoes AND the 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese.
- Using a bread hook, add 2 cups of bread flour. Then add the rest 1/4 cup at a time (perhaps more) until you have a somewhat sticky ball of dough. I didn't need to knead with my hands, but you can do so if you'd like more control.
- Then spray some oil in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 2 hours in a warm space.
But well worth it.
To bake . . .
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. If you have a baking stone, now's a perfect time to toss it in the oven.
- Divide dough into two equal balls. Toss each in a bit of flour and shape into a loose round.
- Once the oven is preheated, bake one round for five minutes.
- Then lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for another 25 to 30 minutes. Until loaf is golden.
- Let cool before slicing.
Repeat process with other round or freeze for up to 2-3 months. Tomorrow will be an Ada-update from her 4 month appointment today. Three words: Shots. Tears & Screams.
Like what you just read? Stay connected! You can subscribe to the feed of these posts, chat with us on Twitter or Facebook. And you can always email us with your questions and comments.